Dublin, like all the British Isles, has a very strong relationship with alcohol, and in particular, with whiskey. As a result of the British colonisation that lasted for several centuries in Ireland, whiskey remained a very popular drink among the Irish. This was demonstrated in the Old Jameson Irish Whiskey Distillery.

Irish Whiskey is one of the world’s best-known variations of whiskey and was produced for many years in distilleries such as the Old Jameson Irish Whiskey Distillery, located in Smithfield Square, in Dublin, a place with many link to casinos near Smithfield Square and restaurants.

This distillery was started by John Jameson, founder of Jameson Irish Whiskey, in 1786 and remained active until 1971 when it was moved out of the city, but in 1997 it reopened as a tourist centre, with 350,000 tourists every year.

Since the 18th Century

Whiskey arrived in Ireland from Scotland and became popular in the 18th century. Dublin was the main production centre for Irish whiskey, and the most important distilleries were Powers and Tellings. From 1786, John Jameson started to run the distillery that belonged to his in-laws, to buy it years later under the name of John Jameson and Son Irish Whiskey company.

Very quickly, Jameson’s whiskey became one of the most important in the world. By the 19th century, the distillery had expanded to five acres.

Reconversion Into a Tourist Site

The distillery produced over a million gallons of whiskey. However, in the 20th century, with Ireland’s war of independence, trade became difficult and many distilleries closed. Jameson held on, but in the 1960s it joined with two other large distillers to form Irish Distillers.

In 1971, the distillery moved out of town. The place remained abandoned and was partially sold until 1997 when part of the distillery was rescued to be converted into a tourist site, which shows the distilling process and is also a meeting place.